Thursday, February 7, 2013

Me? A Saint?

Today was the official first service of the new church plant I have been helping with. I must admit that I was having to hold back tears. It was incredibly moving to have been throughout the process since we found our church site and see what it is now. All the hard work, sweat, and time given has truly been a blessing. And it's all for God's glory. I had an amazing time worshipping with my family along side me. I hope they felt the same. 

The sermon started out with the question, "Who do you think you are?" Now, I could say who I am on the outside. That's easy. What the point was, is really "who are you on the inside" or "what do you identify with?" I've just learned from a friend that Mark Driscoll literally shouted that question to his church. That's pretty ballsy. Anyways, I had a talk with my pastor late last year regarding identity. Who was I before following Christ?

I was a homosexual, yet I hated being identified as one. That's pretty hypocritical, don't you think? I was both closeted and "out." I kept everything so secretive though. I was pretty good at it. After I made my change to follow Jesus, I noticed how hard it was to tell my friends (rather, it still is extremely hard). I had another friend go through the same ordeal and to hear people he considered friends mock and ridicule him behind his back seemed so cruel and awful. I think that is why I've been postponing it so much. I've been afraid of what people will think of me. It's such a stupid insecurity that I don't normally have except in this situation. I've been keeping one foot in the door in order to escape my friends judgemental thoughts and words. I've kept my identity as a homosexual.

I've wasted so much time worrying about what other people will think of me when I "announce" my choice to follow Jesus and not my sin that I've kept my identity with homosexuality in tact. God has finally revealed to me that in order to bash my previous identity and take on my new one, I had to let tell my story. This is one of the main reasons why I created this blog. I feel like I can now say that I can identify with Jesus. Following Him has become my new identity. I am a saint. I am a follower of Christ.

1 comment:

  1. It takes a man to share his sin and boast in Christ. Yes, it takes the man who is Christ. From that man, our Lord & savior, our God, comes strength to lay it down and follow him. There is nothing we struggle with that he has not already been tempted with and overcome without blemish. Through the comfort and wisdom given to us by the Holy Spirit we can confidently broadcast our own sin and failures because we know Christ and glisten in his sweet, cleansing blood! Dying with Christ and now living in Christ and Christ in us we are changed men. Tempted by but no longer bound by our sinful flesh or the world or demons. I can't even say I struggle with chewing tobacco for fear of man. Tobacco is not a sin in itself, but for me it is a very real and painful one. It has its season's of taking control...consuming my thoughts and time and stirring up anger when I cannot enjoy it. I cower and hide. I am no longer going to hide either. I've been forgiven and have the strength, in Christ, to overcome the idol I worship in place of Christ.. Thanks for manning up and sharing...it has been a blessing and encouragement to me. I pray it is for many others as well! Love you, brother!
    -Chris

    ReplyDelete