Tuesday, March 26, 2013

It's Not About Us

I recently listened to a sermon where a main point was essentially, "Jesus' power may benefit us, but it's not solely about us."

I constantly had to be told by my mother when I was growing up, "It's not about you!" I thought the world revolved around me in most aspects of my life. And even now, at times I get caught up in my own worries and temptations that I forget that Jesus has the power to handle them. I forget to turn to Jesus for my refuge and strength. I tend to do this when I am stressed and worried about whatever my mind is focusing on.

When I listened to this sermon I was spiritually slapped in the face. I knew that Jesus' power could solve any of my problems. However, I failed to understand that Jesus' power is only a benefit of my life. Again, it's not and still isn't about me.

We all know that Jesus has the power over all things. He is all-powerful. Duh, He's Jesus. I think that as Americans in particular we tend to be so self-centered that even when Jesus does help us in our time of need, we mark it off as something we did. In reality, Jesus doesn't have to. He does because He loves us (even enough to die on the cross for us).

After I published my blog to the Facebook in early February, I noticed one thing in particular. People kept saying how inspiring/wonderful/courageous/amazing I was. I never really thought that I had done anything amazing in particular. I mean, I was just being honest and telling my story. No one really seemed to be mentioning that Jesus deserves all the glory. It wasn't me that got more than 5,000 people to read my story. It was Jesus. Once I listened to this sermon I saw the correlation of the truth in the main point and in my salvation.

Jesus saved me for my benefit. He didn't have to. He could have chosen someone else. But he reached down to my "dead and powerless body at the bottom of the ocean," as my pastor says, and "breathed life into it." I mean how beneficial is that to be given life again!?

But it still wasn't about me. I didn't feel like any recognition needed (or still needs) to go to me. Jesus transformed my life, not for any glory of mine, but to show people HIS glory and power. It's not about me. It's all about Him. He is showing me day by day the immeasurable grace, mercy, and love that can only come through His saving power. Amen, and thank you Jesus.
___________________________________________________________________
In other news, I found this band from a friend and I have not stopped listening to this mash-up!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment